Friday, August 21, 2009

Harvest Time



Spring onions and green beans are in! Onions were cooked on the grill and served with Tri Tip for a BBQ last weekend. Green beans were pan sauteed and served with some luscious rare ahi tuna. The rest of the green beans are slated for pickling this weekend. The tomatoes and so big that the plants are falling over. I've tried as best as I can to tie them up(growl) but they are just too heavy. Fruit is turning to orange and by next week we'll have our first batch of tomatoes!!! I already have plans for overnight slow-roasting, canning and just plain sliced tomatoes with sea salt. I have also been self-pollinating the squash with a paintbrush but they are still wilting on the vine. Not sure what's going on there. I'm already thinking of next year: less squash, more lettuce, different types of beans, adding eggplant.

2 comments:

  1. I think your blog is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought there were pics of you pollenating the squash? [wink]

    Yes, I'm accepting my CGarden defeat of squash, I got lots of blossoms but not a single fruit. No bees, I blame having no bees!!

    I'll get the fava beans sprouting in late Sept in the greenhouse, then divide them up between our gardens to see who's deals best with the winter produce!

    Let me know your tomato canning schedule, I'd love to join in!

    ReplyDelete

you no longer need a gmail account to post a comment! (but please do the word verification so we know you're not a robot!) gracias!