Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Springtime Garden

The garden, or what was left in it, fared pretty well over the winter. The favas are tall and producing well. I haven't harvested yet, but any day now. The leeks are too gorgeous to pull. The flowers are so pretty that I...just...can't...pick. I've purchased and planted lots of seedlings. Photos to follow. My garden is inundated with sow bugs. Everything I read says that they don't harm your garden, but my brand new summer squash was attacked. I say it was their doing and after cruising the internet found that they hate cayenne and oil so into the kitchen I go to create my Sow Bug Death Spray. I'll let you know how it goes.


sage



leek flower bud



fava pods



tall fava plants

4 comments:

  1. let me know when you're picking favas - I'll pick my second round and contribute to your haul. My first pick LOOKED like a lot, but once I got through those fuzzy sweatshirts, and peeled them out of their outer shells, I had about a cup - 1 cup! - of beans. Painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your sage looks lovely. I have two kinds, one apparently more 'culinary' then the other - bigger rounder leaves like what you have here. (although the other species seems just as thriving, but leaves are slimmer and longer)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be "slimmer and longer" instead of "bigger and rounder"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hear hear! but a small consolation is that we, too, are 'more culinary' than most! ;)
    see you at backyard BBQ on Saturday? weather better cooperate! [shaking fist at sky]

    ReplyDelete

you no longer need a gmail account to post a comment! (but please do the word verification so we know you're not a robot!) gracias!