Saturday, October 17, 2009

DIY greenhouses

The transition from summer to fall in SF can be quite harsh - the biting cold 'coastal effect' of the heat from the inland regions rising in the afternoon, which creates a sucking in of the chilly ocean air from the Pacific Ocean. It's BRUTAL.

As I've been starting my fall greens from seed, and the community garden's greenhouse has been in high demand for exactly the same purpose, I decided to improvise. The apartment dwellers of the CG don't have access to directly sunlight as I do in our backyard, so I figured I'd best leave the greenhouse to them, and get my seedlings started on my own turf.

The conclusion was: DIY greenhouses.

I reuse 4" squares and 6-packs from nursery seedlings, and fill with a mix of compost and vermaculite (ala Square Foot Gardener). I start the seeds (Botanical Interests is my preferred brand) and then I slip them into standard grocery store clear plastic baggies (the kind you bag loose veggies in) and do a simple knot at the top. This simple enclosure provides a mini-greenhouse effect - protects them from the harsh cold evening winds, while capturing and containing the heat generated during the day. In the mornings, I untie the baggies and roll them down to let fresh air and sunshine in, then roll 'em up and tie again in the evenings. and Voila! DIY greenhouses.



:::

No comments:

Post a Comment

you no longer need a gmail account to post a comment! (but please do the word verification so we know you're not a robot!) gracias!