Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lunado Garden - Week One




This is going to be the year I harvest a tomatoe from my very own garden. I live in the Sunset District of San Francisco i.e. Fog Belt. Since moving from Sonoma County where each year I had healthy happy heavy-producing gardens, I have been trying to grow tomatoes with no luck. Last year my husband and I kept looking over into our neighbors garden that on sunny days got lots of sun. Hum...either we convince them to put in a pool or we convince them to put in a veggie garden. Well, we now have 3 raised beds to play with. Last year we started a little late but things were moving along nicely until the Summer of Fog hit us. Alas, no tomatoes. Squash did great but nothing else really made it. This year, we got started much earlier. We tilled the soil and filled each bed with very stinky chicken manure on April 11. TIP Do not invite people for an outdoor cocktail party the evening you put manure in your garden. Anyway, had a lovely day picking seedlings at Flowercraft. I went a little nuts in the tomatoe department. Due to my bad luck in the past, I've decided to mostly do cherry tomatoes. I also purchased leeks, onions, lettuce, basil, squash, thyme, oregano and lots of marigolds to protect from pests. Everything went in on April 13. I then found Grow Better Veggies blog and realised I am doing it all wrong. Cynthia puts fishheads, eggshells, aspirin (aspirin?), bonemeal, fertilizer and worm castings under each new plant. Egads! I thought I was being pretty smart with my chicken manure and compost. Do I pull them out and start over? Where to get fishheads? Now I'm nervous. Anyway, here are some pics of the new garden. ~K

1 comment:

  1. I think copious amounts of chicken manure = fish heads. At least on stink-factor alone!

    nice start!

    ReplyDelete

you no longer need a gmail account to post a comment! (but please do the word verification so we know you're not a robot!) gracias!