Saturday, May 9, 2009

broccoli buds


This is my second season growing broccoli rabe, and I'm still not quite sure how to deal with this plant. I let them go to seed last time, because I hadn't a clue as to when I should harvest, or how to pinch it down to plump it up. I'm hoping I'll do better with these, even if it means starting a new batch every few weeks to harvest these young and tender.


I harvested just a FRACTION (!!!) of my first batch - wasn't sure if I should pull them out or just snip 'em down. I snipped and will see if the base regrows or not. Looks like I'm not going to be wanting for broccoli rabe in the near future, which is excellent as I have a LOT of recipes that call for this lovely bitter green!


(I grew traditional broccoli in the community garden, which surprised the heck out of me with some really amazingly beautiful heads!)

:::

No comments:

Post a Comment

you no longer need a gmail account to post a comment! (but please do the word verification so we know you're not a robot!) gracias!