Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Caged Heat - Lunado Garden Week 5











It's been 5 weeks and the garden is doing great. It was time to cage those naughty tomatoes. I hated doing it but catching the problem early is better than waiting until it's too late.





We're having a bit of a slug problem (no, not me on the couch) so put copper slug barrier tape around the beds. OK, I only bought enough for half a bed so the slugs have a 50/50 chance of making it to dinner. I'm fair.


Pulled out the slug eaten basil and planted Blue Lake Beans. Hubby built a lovely cage of bamboo and string for them to grow up on. Employee of Flowercraft wished me luck when I told him I was planning to grow these beans in the Sunset District and I say "Poo Poo to you, Glass Half Empty Man".


The lettuce won't stop. It just won't stop. Must...keep...eating...lettuce.


So, you ask why the garden is in our neighbors yard. The tomato plant in the pot was planted the same day as the ones behind it. It has been in our backyard. We just don't get enough sun. It is stunted and has brown spots. My neighbors have the best backyard ever. My neighbor X(his name really does start with an X) and I spent Sunday starting seeds, finishing off the copper tape and deciding on the best compost bin. We're going with the worm one. How lucky are we to have such great neighbors.


This is what you get from another neighbor when you tell them it is street cleaning day and they are about to get a ticket. Ok, I didn't say anything but my nice husband did.

So, all in all a pretty heart warming neighbor friendly garden bountiful week.

2 comments:

  1. with a title like 'caged heat', I thought YOU were going to take things outta the PG realm! [wink]

    your tomato plants are far surpassing my own, both in the backyard and the CG. Where can I buy more sun?

    I still have the 1/2 round bamboo stalks for you - iffin ya still want them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Caged Heat poster image. I NEED one for my house!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

you no longer need a gmail account to post a comment! (but please do the word verification so we know you're not a robot!) gracias!